The intention with this project was to create an urban space that responds to environmental and urban renewal issues. By re-qualifying the function of the Ribeira de Seiça channel we have created a new space with natural character providing sport and entertainment activities for locals and visitors alike. In addition, the development of an articulation between the connected urban tissue and the brook’s natural space has created a coherent relationship with a strong identity. Finally, by designing a new urban “centrality” to fit the surrounding architecture (the Congress Centre and the new Municipal Market) a strong sense of community is re-enforced. The site of the weekly fair is now given a new function for the days when the fair is not held.
- Start Date: 01.2003
- End Date: 01.2005
- Theme: Parks and Gardens, Public Space
- Area: 9 ha
- Client: Câmara Municipal de Ourém
- Location: Ourém, Portugal
- Authors: João Nunes
- Collaborators: Nuno Jacinto, Mafalda Silva Meirinho, Sílvia Basílio, António Magalhães de Carvalho.
- Architecture: António Garcia Arquitectos